Thursday, May 5, 2011

guest post: ramsey's fashion tips

if you know me at all (in the blog world or in 'real life') you know that i am not the most budgeted shopper. i love thrifting but i don't tend to 'strike gold' like my most savy thrift friends. the truth is, i love, love, love jcrew and small nyc boutiques. if i could afford it i would buy only from mannequins and catalogs. i can't afford this luxury so i wind up having nothing to wear when i buy nothing at all...sigh.
i asked my fellow blogger and friend from , Love, Ramsey to give me some pointers on how to budget shop and mix and match (notice her in the same blue shirt in each photo?) what i may already have. check out her awesome blog...you'll see this girl knows her clothes! 
Hiya folks!  Gina asked me to stop by for a visit and chat a bit about fashion and budgets.  I’m Ramsey and while I certainly don’t claim to be an expert on the subject, I do, in fact, get dressed and take pictures of myself every day.  So I suppose that makes me a fashion blogger.  Or a total weirdo.  You decide, just don’t hurt my feelings telling me the verdict.  Anywho, I most certainly am on a budget.  Like a nonexistent one.  Nonexistent meaning there is no moolah in it.  So here we go, my tips for getting dressed in something “new” every day without having to have that something new.
Chambray Button-up: JCPenny, Plaid Button-up: F21, Jeggings: Wal Mart, Sperry's

1.        Shop your closet.  Duh.  I know I am not the first to say this but that probably speaks to how good of a point it is.  Pull out an old loose-fitting shirt and pair it with some skinnies, a scarf and a belt around the middle.  Snag the blazer from your suit and pair it with some jeans or a different skirt {or even shorts} for a different look.  A blazer automatically ups the ante of any look.  Layer.  Ok, this is a toughy when you are a Floridian like me, but seriously, layering a sweater or shirt over a maxi dress gives you a whole new look, or layering two button-up shirts together.  You get the idea.  Finally, dress it down.  I LOVE dresses and have a multitude of special occasion ones that exceed the number of special occasions I have.  Chunk on a sweater, blazer, flats, or a scarf and wear it out for the day. Challenging yourself to never wear the same exact thing twice really increases your creativity.
2.       Shop the sales.  Great stores have great sales.  Never pay full price.  And shop at odd times, like weekdays because they tend to drop prices when no one’s there.  I scored a great, classic black dress and a versatile gray one at Gap last week for forty dollars total.  Yup, $20 for a classic, work or “play” ready Gap dress.  That was originally $70.  Convinced yet?

Button Up: JCPenny, Sweater Vest: Belk, Jeggings: Wal-Mart, Belt: F21, Boots: Madden Girl, Socks: Target

3.       Make it work on the cheap.  I would LOVE to have a huge shopping budget for J. Crew and Anthropology.  Actually, if I could only shop at J. Crew for the rest of forever, I would die happy.  But, unfortunately, you can’t pay with hugs and sunshine.  So I create the look on the cheap.  It’s a challenge, but you wouldn’t believe how many similar things you can find at stores like Forever 21.  I usually pick a few pieces that I wish I could buy and search out look-a-likes at bargain prices.  Thank you iPhone.
4.       Carry clothes ‘cross season.  Since I live in such a warm climate, there isn’t really the call for major cold weather apparel.  But layering is key because you can shed ‘em as you go.  Bonus: you can wear the layers un-layered when it gets warmer.  Neutrals are also great for cross-seasoning.  You can pair neutral tops and sweaters all layered up with jeans and boots for winter and strip them down and pair with a bright skirt and flirty heels for spring.  Basically, make your closet work for you and work hard.
Button-up: JCPenny, Skirt: F21, Tights: Am. Eagle, Shoes: Rocketdog, Belt: F21, Blazer: Thrifted, Necklace: NY and Co., Shades: Target

So I hope this was helpful to you guys.  You can definitely do it without having to buy a new outfit for every occasion.  Thank you so much Gina for inviting me!
Love,
Ramsey

7 comments:

  1. Oh whoa, Ramsey has outdone herslef again!
    Hi, I'm Sarah, from 'Distant Dreamer' I just found your blog through Rams, and I enjoy reading your post so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to try the two button-ups idea! And I am amazed at how great those Wal-Mart jeggings are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I'm new and as i am absolutely in love with anything to do with NY i am your newest folower. Totally love the header pic on your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's so cute, love those tips! Thanks for the guest post :)

    savannah-joyofliving.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this post! I just found your blog and am definitely going to follow! I just started http://rolledupprettyandcutoffthoughts.blogspot.com/ about a month ago so have loved finding new blogs! You are adorable! AND so true about just shopping in your own closet, why is it every time I have something to go to I feel like I need to buy a new outfit when I have a MILLION things in my closet? WE people are funny!

    ReplyDelete